It doesn’t matter if you’re buying one product or 500 units. You may have the ability to order goods from the manufacturer, a retailer or a distributor. Although all three options offer certain advantages, factory-direct purchases usually provide greater benefits. There’s a decent chance that you’ll receive better merchandise at a significantly lower price. You may gain access to additional models or varieties as well. There are at least seven reasons to consider buying goods directly from a manufacturer:
1. Factory-direct products normally cost less. This is true because there aren’t any middlemen involved. Retailers and distributors have numerous expenses that they must pass on to buyers. Customers need to fund their buildings, employees and transportation contractors. These companies also incorporate advertising costs into their prices. For example, distribution increases the price of a car by nearly one-third, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
2. When you order an item from the manufacturer, it’s less likely to suffer damage in shipping. Some products change hands repeatedly as different distributors and retailers try to sell them at various prices. Items that fail to sell in a luxury shop may be sent to a department store before reaching a liquidator. Each transfer increases the likelihood of shipping damage. Even if a product appears to remain intact, it could fail sooner because rough treatment has weakened internal components.
3. If an item comes directly from the factory, it probably won’t be near its expiration date. This gives you more time to use or resell the merchandise before it deteriorates. Food isn’t the only type of product that expires. Things like toothpaste, pain relievers, bottled water and batteries also have expiration dates. This consideration holds greater importance when you order goods in bulk.
4. Factory-direct items have been stored in fewer places. “This greatly decreases the likelihood that they’ve been exposed to extreme temperatures or suffered water damage,” said Factory Buys Direct. Products may also absorb unpleasant odors when they sit in warehouses or stores for long periods of time. People occasionally buy items that smell like the cleaning fluids that workers use in such buildings.
5. Merchandise typically has a smaller environmental impact when customers directly order it from manufacturers. The products only need to be transported from the factory to the buyer. They might be sent to one warehouse during this process. On the other hand, many retailers and distributors repeatedly transport, store and repackage goods. Wholesale items are often sold in smaller bulk quantities before they reach retailers.
6. A manufacturer may supply extra features or accessories to customers who purchase products directly. It might also allow buyers to customize merchandise in various ways. At least one cellphone company only lets direct buyers fully personalize their phones, according to CNET. On the other hand, retailers wouldn’t want to carry a style that only a few people would want to buy.
7. You may be able to obtain specialized products that retailers and distributors don’t sell in your country. This makes it possible to purchase interesting obscure items. For example, you might be able to order a factory-direct boombox that tunes shortwave bands, has a cassette player and features amusing disco lights. You can also gain access to a wider range of apparel when you buy directly from manufacturers.
To sum it up, factory-direct buying delivers many valuable benefits. Some of these advantages improve the quality of products or help you find merchandise that meets your specific needs. Most people choose to order goods in this manner when they want to cut costs or can’t find desirable products elsewhere. Although retailers may provide more convenient service and support, they rarely match the prices of factory-direct items.